Residential Zones Project
Notice of Passing of By-laws 21-071 to 21-077
On May 14, 2021, the City of Hamilton Council approved By-laws Nos. 21-071 to 21-077, inclusive to amend the City of Hamilton Zoning By-law No. 05-200 and all former Zoning By-laws, to permit:
- One Secondary Dwelling Unit (SDU) within the principal dwelling and one detached SDU on a lot containing a Single Detached Dwelling, Semi-Detached Dwelling or Street Townhouse Dwelling in the Urban Area;
- One SDU within a Single Detached Dwelling and a Semi-Detached Dwelling in the Rural Area;
- Locational, design, parking, and other technical regulations related to Secondary Dwelling Units in the Urban Area; and,
- Minimum lot area, adequate service, parking, and other technical regulations related to Secondary Dwelling Units in the Rural Area.
- Introduce new accessory building regulations for Hamilton Zoning By-law No. 05-200.
Also take note that Tariff of Fees By-law 12-282 to add a new fee for a Committee of Adjustment Application has also been approved by the City of Hamilton Council on May 14, 2021 for Routine Minor Variance for Secondary Dwelling Units of $600.
Residential Zones in the Urban Area
The City of Hamilton’s Comprehensive Zoning By-law No. 05-200 came into effect on May 25, 2005, and is being implemented in stages. This Zoning By-law applies to the entire City of Hamilton and is replacing the Zoning By-laws of the former municipalities.
The final phase of this project is focused on residential zones in the urban area. The purpose of this project is to implement the policies of the Urban Hamilton Official Plan to create consistent residential zones across the entire urban area of Hamilton.