Freedom of Information & Privacy Protection
File a Request
Anyone can make a request for information — there are no restrictions based on age or where you live.
You can submit a Freedom of Information (FOI) request if you wish to:
- access general records held by the City of Hamilton
- request your own personal information
- correct your personal information
All municipalities are subject to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, or MFIPPA.
All municipalities that have Health Information Custodians or act as agents on behalf of Health Information Custodians are subject to the Personal Health Information Protection Act, or PHIPA.
Municipal Freedom of Information Act
The purposes of the Municipal Freedom of Information Act and Protection of Privacy are:
- to provide a right of access to information under the control of institutions in accordance with the principles that:
- information should be available to the public
- necessary exemptions from the right of access should be limited and specific
- decisions on the disclosure of information should be reviewed independently of the institution controlling the information
- to protect the privacy of individuals with respect to personal information about themselves held by institutions and to provide individuals with a right of access to that information
Personal Health Information Protection Act
The purposes of the Personal Health Information Protection Act are:
- To establish rules for the collection and disclosure of personal health information
- To protect the privacy of personal health information
- To provide individuals with the right to access and to correct or amend his or her personal health information subject to limited and specific exemptions