Community in Motion Awards
The Community in Motion Award is an award to recognize members of the community who have made an effort to actively support and promote the use of healthy and sustainable forms of transportation such as walking, cycling, and public transit.
Who can apply?
Business owners, school representatives, members of the media, designers, planners, landscape architects, developers, contractors, engineers, consultants and members of the general public are invited and encouraged to submit nominations for consideration for the applicable categories.
Nomination & Selection Process
All submission and nomination materials submitted to the Community in Motion Awards program must be true and accurate. Falsified information will result in disqualification from the Community in Motion Awards process.
Images, illustrations or site plans that will help the jury understand the project must be sent by email to email@example.com. A maximum of 5 digital images in jpeg format will be accepted, minimum 5”x7” in size and 300 dpi in resolution for printing.
An individual or group may submit applications or be nominated for more than one category. However, a separate submission form and supporting submission information will be required.
Phone numbers, email and mailing addresses will not be made public as part of the Community in Motion Awards process. Personal information of successful nominees will be used to promote future Community in Motion Awards program. Nominator names and contact information will not be made public by the City of Hamilton.
Awards will be determined by the selection panel depending on the number and diversity of the submissions. Evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- Excellence in overall design, program, contributions, or coverage
- Appropriateness of contribution to active transportation
- Contribution to sustainability
Winners from the previous year and representatives from various City of Hamilton Transportation committees will make up the selection committee each year, with the exception of the inaugural year.
- Delegates, Award Winners from previous year (up to 5 persons)
- Delegate, Hamilton Cycling Advisory Committee
- Delegate, Hamilton Pedestrian Mobility Advisory Committee
- Delegate, Hamilton Transportation Management Association
- Delegate, Hamilton Chamber of Commerce
- Peter Topalovic, Project Manager, Public Works Department, City of Hamilton
If applicable, selection panel members must declare a conflict-of-interest and abstain from voting on awards in individual categories where the conflict exists.
Awards are given to individuals, groups, businesses and organizations that demonstrate outstanding efforts in promoting cycling, walking and/or transit usage by creating a friendly environment for these modes through infrastructure, promotional/education program or other similar initiatives.
There are 8 award categories that can be given to an individual, school, and business or organization that fosters a culture of active transportation within the City. Each group or individual can be considered for up to one entry in each of the six award categories.
Past Award Winners
- 2020/2021 The Salvation Army, Lawson Ministries Hamilton
- 2019 Cancelled
- 2018 Overdrive Design
- 2017 Sonic Unyon & Evergreen Community Storefront
- 2016 New Hope Community Bikes
- 2015 SoBi Hamilton & New Hope Community Bikes
- 2014 Bike Valet
- 2013 Café Domestique
- 2012 The Hammer Active Alternative Transportation Delivery (THAAT)
- 2020/2021 Dundana School
- 2019 Cancelled
- 2018 St. Marguerite d’Youville Catholic Elementary
- 2017 Memorial Stoney Creek
- 2016 St. Marguerite d’Youville Catholic Elementary
- 2015 St. Marguerite d’Youville Catholic Elementary
- 2014 St. Marguerite d’Youville Catholic Elementary
- 2013 St. Marguerite d’Youville Catholic Elementary
- 2012 St. Lawrence Catholic Elementary & St. Marguerite d’Youville Catholic Elementary