Sidewalk and Roadway Lighting Policy
The Sidewalk and Roadway Lighting Policy provides a reference standard for the planning, design and upgrading of street lighting infrastructure. The policy is for lighting designers, developers, city staff and residents.
The goal of this policy is to benefit:
- Pedestrian safety (Travelling on sidewalks or parallel to roadways)
- Pedestrian-vehicular safety (Pedestrian road crossings)
- Real safety and security
- Perceived safety and security
- Commercial and City of Hamilton image enhancement
- Vehicular road safety (Vehicle to vehicle conflicts)
The purpose of this document is to:
- Provide a uniform structure for the ongoing provision of lighting across the city
- Ensure consistent lighting levels.
- Define where lighting is and is not required and to what degree (lighting standards and illumination levels).
- Mandate lighting for sidewalks, urban walkways, urban roadways and rural and urban intersections.
- Promote a healthy environment by appropriate planning and management of the built environment.