Hamilton's Water Works By-law No. R84-026 restricts lawn and garden watering, car washing and sidewalk or roadway washing to every other day:
- If your home is even-numbered you are permitted to water on even numbered days.
- If your home has an odd-numbered you are permitted to water on odd-numbered days.
For those residents without a municipal address:
- If you live on the west side or north side of the street you are permitted to water on odd-numbered days.
- If you live on the east side or south side of the street you are permitted to water on even-numbered days.
While there are no time restrictions, unless notified by letter or through the media, it is best to water in the early morning or late evening when the water demand is lower.
To complain about a neighbour who is watering their lawn on the incorrect day, call Municipal Law Enforcement at 905-546-2489 and report their exact address.
Residents watering on the incorrect day may:
- receive a warning letter for the first offence
- receive a $65 fine for the second offence
In the event of a watering ban, watering of lawns and gardens is prohibited.
Residents watering during a watering ban may:
- receive a warning letter on the first offence
- receive a $305 fine on the second offence
- receive a summons to appear in court on the third offence
Hand watering using a jug or watering can is permitted.
Watering your lawn
Less watering can actually strengthen your lawn by forcing your grass roots to grow deeper looking for water.